Tuesday, November 9, 2010

JA=MC²; Abdelkader's Great Start

Since October 30 I have been working on a new scientific model to describe the Red Wings. Scribbling away at my whiteboard, with my hair frizzed up and my eyes blinking only when absolutely necessary for the better part of two weeks. I smell like dry-erase pens and toasted cheese. I think my girlfriend might have dumped me at some point this week -- I'm not 100% on that, but it's not important right now because I've done it! A new mathematical formula that I'm sure you'll agree perfectly sums up the energy of the Detroit Red Wings right now.

JA=MC²

Allow me to elaborate:

Justin Abdelkader (JA) is equal to mass (M) multiplied by the velocity of light (C) squared.

This guy is all energy. Since his return he's been the hardest skater, the biggest hitter and also one of the best scorers on the team. He's done it all. He was a depth guy to start the season, a future role-player. But Justin Abdelkader has made his statement this season and made it clear. He is no depth player, the future is now and he is quickly carving his way into being an extremely important role-player for the Red Wings.

Remember when Max Talbot scored two goals in Game Seven in 2009? Of course you do. Sadly, I do too. This is what I invision for the future of this guy. He'll never be outscoring Zetterberg or Datsyuk, but when they've got defensemen all over them and secondary scoring is key, Justin Abdelkader will be there.

With the exception of Dan Cleary he's been Detroit's best performer in the past five games. His numbers aren't extraordinary but they are more than you could hope to get from a third-liner whose main objective is to prevent goals. 2 goals, 1 assist, +5, 1 fight and 1 GWG in his five games. Not bad, 'ey?

The other beautiful thing is he's making his linemates better with his energy.

Is it a coincidence Mike Modano has gone from the one goal in his first eight games to a goal and 3 asissts in his five with Abby? Or how about Cleary going from just a goal and an assist in the first eight to 3 goals and 4 assists since JA's return? Possibly, but methinks not.

The only downside that I can really think of at this point is the quietness of the top two lines in the last five games. Perhaps Z and the Mule are intimidated by the fierce redhead.

In summary, I'd like to congratulate Abby on his performance so far in his short season. He's kept it simple and played with with big E. Nope, not Jonathan Ericsson... energy. All that energy and his 'balls to the wall' style of play have generated the points and helped get the Red Wings the wins.

Keep it up, Abs! We're all rooting for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment